One of my favourite – to eat and to make – Christmas cookies. Decorated, wrapped in a see-through wrapping paper/plastic with a pretty bow, make a good gift for colleagues and friends.
3 1/3 cup plain flour
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 cup icing sugar
3/4 tsp bicarb soda
2 1/2 tbsp gingerbread spice mix
pinch of salt
180 g butter
3/4 cup golden syrup
55 g dark chocolate
1 orange zest
1. Mix together the flour, cocoa, icing sugar, bicarb soda, spice mix and salt in a big bowl. Add the egg.
2. Put the butter, golden syrup and chocolate in a pot. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and well mixed. Let it cool a bit.
3. Add the chocolate mixture and orange zest to the bowl with flour mixture. Mix with your hand until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours (the dough should be firm but not too hard).
4. Roll the dough to 4-5mm thick between two sheets of baking paper. Remove paper from the top and cut out any shapes you like.
5. Bake in 175C for 12-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Decorate and enjoy 🙂