aka: Swedish Chocolate Cake or YACC (Yet Another Chocolate Cake). It’s sweet, moist and really easy to make.
Semolina – for coating pan
1 1/4 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
75g softened butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs – separate out yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup of milk chocolate (melted, semisweet)
1/2 cup heavy cream
small cup of espresso
whip cream/mascarpone – alternatively as a topping
Preheat oven to 175C.
1. Butter a small square brownie pan and dust evenly with semolina.
2. In a small bowl combine the flour and baking powder together.
3. Cream butter and sugar, then add egg yolks, vanilla and cream.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture.
5. Melt the chocolate in microwave and pour into the batter.
6. Whip egg whites until stiff and fold into cake batter.
7. Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
Bake for 45 minutes.
Cool cake in pan 5 minutes. Make some small holes around the cake with a toothpick and using a spoon, pour the espresso into the cake. It will make it even more moist and will add that extra “thing” to the flavour.
Turn out cake onto wire baking rack to finish cooling. Cover with whip cream or sweetened mascarpone, decorate with chocolate shave.