After what looked like a never-ending winter in Melbourne, we finally have some proper summer weather. I’ll take heatwave over windy winter any day! Seating on my balcony, working or reading, with a refreshing drink in hand is where you can find me on most sunny days. I even call it “my balcony office”.
For those days I created the Green Bison. A very refreshing cocktail, inspired by my favourite cocktail from my favourite bar in Brisbane. It’s based on one of the best Polish vodkas – Żubrówka (bison grass vodka) and doubles as a boozy fruit salad.
Ingredients (makes 1 cocktail):
- Soda Stream lemonade flavour
- 2cm slice of cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 kiwi fruit, coarsely chopped
- 1 thick slice of lime, halved
- 40ml of Żubrówka (Polish bison grass vodka)
- a handful of ice cubes
- Prepare sparkling lemonade: fizz a bottle of water and add lemonade flavour. Mix and chill well.
- Smash the cucumber and kiwi in a bowl (I used a wooden honey dipper to do so) and pour to a glass together with the juices.
- Squeeze half of a lime slice into the glass. Put the other half slice & slice of cucumber in the glass for decoration.
- Pour 40ml of Żubrówka over the fruit. Cover with ice cubes.
- Top with 1/2 cup of lemonade.
After you finish drinking, grab a small fork or a spoon and enjoy the boozy kiwi & cucumber salad.
If you don’t have access to Żubrówka, a good gin will work too.