All those years of watching The Lord of the Rings over and over again convinced me New Zealand is a place I have to visit. But it was always just a dream, nothing that could really happen, as it was way too far and too expensive when we were living in Poland. And then, when over 3 years ago we moved to Brisbane it suddenly became a 3-hours-away, quite reachable dream.
There was just one problem – all the tropical islands around Australia, where also really close to us now. So we went to Fiji, Bali, spent 3 weeks in Asia and were about to decide if we should pick Thailand (again) or Vietnam for holidays in October… When I saw this video:
It suddenly felt like it’s the right time to finally do it – only a few days later plane tickets were booked. In 3 weeks time we’ll be there!
- Brisbane -> Auckland with Emirates (which from 2nd October starts operating A380 flights from & to Brisbane)drive to Swallows Ridge Luxury Boutique Bed and Breakfast (3h30 drive)
- Drive from Auckland Airport to Kerikeri & stay in that area for 2 days.
- Long drive day – from Kerikeri to Rotorua.
- 2 days in Rotorua contain a trip to Hobbiton and Waitomo Caves.
- Next 1-day stop on the south side of Lake Taupo.
- 2 days in Wellington – I need foodie-must-visit places recommendations here
- Wellington -> Christchurch – flying with Air New Zealand
- 1 day in Christchurch, I’ve booked a lovely B&B on the beach, hope this was a good choice.
- Drive to Mt Cook Village (see Lake Taupo on the way there) for 2 days. Trekking in Hooker Valley if weather allows. Any recommended places in Mt Cook Village area for anniversary dinner?
- 2 days in Queenstown + visit Milford Sounds.
- Queenstown -> Auckland – with Air New Zealand again.
- 3 1/2 days in Auckland – any recommendations for that part?
- …and back to Brisbane
What to eat?
Things that have been recommended to me so far, to look for them while in NZ:
- Blue cod fish
- Buff Oysters
- Southland sushi (cheese roll)
What to see?
- Hobbiton – of course. I’m already prepared with my special LOTR leggings:
- Waitomo Caves
- Sailing trip in the Bay of Islands
- Trip to Milford Sounds
- Rotorua – is Maori Village worth it?
What am I missing? I’ll appreciate every tip to make this trip even more fun.