Writing about places I visited recently always makes me hungry for more. Last month, I published a comprehensive review of Santorini which made me literally hungry – I started craving tomato fritters.
Once I tried them on the island, I was instantly obsessed. My favourite were those of irregular shape, which were a bit more fluffy and had a doughnut-like dough. Their taste also varied, each restaurant had their own spin on the recipe – some were made using fresh herbs, some, I’m pretty sure, had tomato paste in them.
What they all have in common is that they burst with flavour and taste like summer. That’s probably thanks to the small, sweet Santorini tomatoes, which I don’t have access to in Australia but I found some organic cocktail tomatoes that do the trick. It’s enough to bring back memories.
I’m closing my eyes, taking a bite and imagining: I’m sitting on a big terrace attached to a local taverna, overlooking the caldera edge. The sea is glistening in the sun and cicadas are singing in the background. It’s a lazy afternoon, there’s nowhere I have to rush to. I’m definitely on holidays.
400g cocktail/cherry/mini roma tomatoes, quartered
1/2 onion, finely diced
salt and pepper
1 tbsp finely chopped continental parsley
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 tsp dried oregano
2 cups/250g flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
½ cup water
olive oil, for frying
For the dip:
250g Greek-style yoghurt
1 tbsp chopped dill
Lemon wedges, to serve
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes and onion. Add salt & pepper to taste and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add parsley, dill, oregano, flour, bicarb soda and water. Stir together until well combined and a thick batter forms.
- Heat 3-5cm of olive oil in a wok or small heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Drop & press to flatten large tablespoons of the batter into the oil. Fry for about 1 minute on each side until golden.
- Put on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Combine the yoghurt and dill in a small bowl.
- Serve warm dipped in the dill yoghurt with a squeeze of lemon.
Find easy to follow recipes for other Greek dishes on Hello Fresh website (including delicious lamb souvlaki wraps).