Since I’m away from home 12 hours a day for work, I don’t have much time left for cooking. I discovered that I can do something quickly in the morning, to take with me for lunch and I’m doing this more often now. Few days ago I had a look in my fridge. Asparagus, butter, few kinds of cheese and puff pastry in the freezer. And I had this simple idea for a quick to make and possibly delicious snack for lunch.
When I showed it in the office to my colleagues, they were really surprised, that I made it quickly in the morning. And they were really envious, when after first bite I started to make “uhmmmmmm” “yuuuuummmmm” “nooooooom” kind of noises 😉 Turned out my quick morning idea was great! So I tried to make it again on my day off, took some pictures (it’s very photogenic!) and decided to share it with the rest of the world 🙂
Ingredients (makes 4)
1 square sheet of puff pastry
2 tbsp soft butter
4 slices halloumi cheese (I like the one with lots of pepper inside)
dried basil, sesame seeds to sprinkle
1. Cut pastry sheet into 4 squares. Place on a tray lined with baking paper.
2. Spread a little butter in the centre of each square and place a slice of halloumi in the middle (you may want to slightly grill the halloumi before). Cover with a few asparagus spears.
3. Pull up and join together two corners of each square (refer to photos). Spread the top with a little butter.
3. Sprinkle each pastry with dried basil and sesame seeds.
4. Bake in pre-heated oven (180◦C fan forced, 200◦C conventional) for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden.